(Madrid) Spanish media tried on Tuesday to locate the ex-king Juan Carlos and said so in Dominican Republic or Portugal, while the Royal Palace refuses any information since the announcement the day before of his departure into exile.
France Media Agency
All the press took for granted that the former monarch, targeted by an investigation for corruption, had left the territory although neither the Royal Palace nor the government had confirmed it.
The online newspaper El Confidencial claimed on Tuesday afternoon that Juan Carlos, aged 82 years old, was in Portugal where he spent his early childhood, “in the town of Azeitao”, about thirty kilometers south of Lisbon.
Quoting “sources close to the royal family”, the media writes that the former sovereign was “lodged there by the Brito e Cunha-Espirito Santo family with whom he has maintained a fraternal relationship since his family there. lived in exile ”under the Franco dictatorship.
“Until further notice, this will be his residence, after he has ruled out other more distant destinations such as the Dominican Republic and New Zealand”, adds El Confidencial .
At the start of the day, the daily ABC , favorable to the monarchy, had assured that the former monarch, had traveled to the Dominican Republic. El Mundo and the Vanguardia had followed suit, saying that he intended to stay with friends for a while in this Caribbean country.
A track also supported by the Dominican television channel Canal de Noticias, which assured Tuesday that the king “was preparing” to visit the Dominican Republic which “is in the process of making preparations for his arrival”.
But the Royal Palace refused to comment on these conjectures. “The only information we have is that which was published yesterday on the website of the Royal House,” said a spokesperson.
For her part, Queen Emeritus Doña Sofia, from whom Juan Carlos has been separated for a long time, is still in Spain, AFP learned Tuesday from a source close to the Royal Palace.
The Palace had made public the letter from Juan Carlos to his son, King Felipe VI, in which he announced his decision to move away from Spain in order to help him “exercise his responsibilities”. Since his accession to the throne in June 2014, the sovereign has worked to restore the image of the monarchy tainted by scandals.
The ex-king had abdicated because of the scandals but they are pursuing him. Swiss justice is investigating a commission of 82 million dollars that he allegedly received from Saudi Arabia on an account in Switzerland in 2008.
The Spanish Supreme Court announced in June the opening of an investigation to establish whether crimes have been committed and if they could be attributable to the former sovereign but only for acts committed since his abdication. He had previously been covered by royal immunity.
Juan Carlos had ascended the throne in 1975 after the death of the dictator Francisco Franco, who had chosen him to succeed him, and had led the country’s transition to democracy. He was popular for a long time before his image was tarnished by his connections and suspicion of corruption.