World

Flight MH17: Russia before the European Court of Human Rights

(The Hague) The Dutch government announced on Friday that it would bring Russia to justice before the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) “for its role in the destruction of the theft MH 17 “, shot in 2014 over Ukraine.

France Media Agency

“Do justice to the 298 victims of the explosion of the MH flight 17 is and will remain the government's highest priority, “said Dutch Foreign Minister Stef Blok in a statement.

“By taking this step today […] we are getting closer to that goal,” said Blok.

According to the minister, this decision aims in particular to offer “maximum support” to the relatives of the victims.

In November 2018, relatives of 65 Dutchmen who died in the explosion of the theft brought an appeal against Russia before the ECHR, asking Moscow to “acknowledge its responsibility” in the disaster.

PHOTO MAXIM ZMEYEV, REUTERS ARCHIVES

The Boeing 777 of the Malaysian Airlines company, departed from Amsterdam for Kuala Lumpur on 17 July 2014, was shot down in mid-flight by a Soviet-designed BUK surface-to-air missile over the area of ​​armed conflict with the Prorussian separatists in eastern Ukraine. The 298 people on board, including 196 Dutch, had been killed.

The Netherlands openly blamed Russia for the deaths of its nationals. Moscow for its part has always vehemently denied any involvement in the crash and blamed the blame on Kiev.

The Dutch government had warned in December 2018 to consider bringing a legal action against Russia in this case, the discussions between the two countries find themselves at an impasse.

The Netherlands continues however “to attach importance to the continuation of the meetings with Russia”, with the aim “to find a solution which does justice to the enormous sufferings and damages caused” by the drama , said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

The Dutch courts began the trial in March of four suspects, three Russians and one Ukrainian, accused of having caused the crash.

Close