NEW DELHI: The government on Friday extended the deadline for mandatory linking of PAN with Aadhaar by three months to March 31, 2018.
The Supreme Court will be setting up a five-judge Constitution Bench next week to hear several pleas seeking an interim stay on the Centre’s decision of mandatory linking of Aadhaar. A bench headed by Chief Justice Dipak Misra was informed by Attorney General K K Venugopal that the Centre was willing to extend the deadline of 31 December to 31 March next year for linking of Aadhaar with various services and schemes.
As of November, 13.28 crore out of 33 crore PANs have been linked to the 12-digit biometric identifier Aadhaar.
This year, the government made quoting of Aadhaar mandatory for filing income tax returns (ITRs) as well as obtaining a new PAN.
Section 139 AA (2) of the Income Tax Act says that every person having PAN as on July 1, 2017, and eligible to obtain Aadhaar, must intimate his Aadhaar number to the tax authorities.
The government had in August extended by four months the deadline for linking PAN with Aadhaar till December 31, pending the Supreme Court verdict.
However, if you have already got your Aadhaar card and are planning to link them here are simple steps to do:
- Keep your Aadhaar and PAN numbers.
- Register on the Income tax e-Filing portal if you already haven’t yet. If you are already registered at the income tax department’s e-Filing portal, log in using your ID, password and date of birth.
- A pop up window will appear, prompting you to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card. If you have a pop up blocker active, you will have to go on the “Profile Setting” on the dashboard’s menu bar to click on “Link Aadhar” option.
- You will have to add the necessary details like name your Date of Birth as per the PAN details as well as your gender. If you data is different that what’s mentioned on your PAN, the Aadhaar will not be linked to your PAN. Next thing to do is, to enter your 12 digit Aadhaar card number, then verify captcha and then click on “Link Aadhaar” button. Once your validation is successful, your Aadhaar will be successfully linked to your PAN.
- The last step is when a popup message is displayed stating that your Aadhaar card has been successfully linked to your PAN card.
As once Aadhar card is linked to your pan card, your can E-verify ITR return through aadhar number if your mobile number is also linked with aadhar number.